Father's Day: Finance Edition with Darius Pettway
- Darius Pettway is the Co-Founder of Pettway Estates and KidVestors.
- Recently, Darius was featured on CMM to chat about fatherhood and finances.
- Darius is determined to educate and empower the youth regarding financial literacy through his company, KidVestors.
Darius Pettway is the Co-Founder of Pettway Estates and KidVestors. Darius is passionate about helping people learn about real estate and build wealth in the process. He is also determined to educate and empower the youth regarding financial literacy through his company, KidVestors.
Darius has been featured on CapWay’s Culture Meets Money (CMM) series twice. The first time he was featured on CMM, he shared tips on how he and his wife, Courtney are working together to build purposeful money habits.
Recently, Darius was featured on CMM to chat about fatherhood and finances. He dropped several financial gems and an essential life and money hack that every parent should implement to help their child reach the next level financially.
For Father’s Day, we chose to highlight exceptional fathers who have gone the extra mile in their homes and beyond. Read more about Darius below.
How many children do you have, and how old are they?
I am privileged to have two children, DJ, 3, and Averie, 1.
What’s the best piece of financial advice you received from your father?
Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of receiving financial advice from my father or other male figurehead so this is why I'm so passionate about it now. I'm dedicated to giving my children what I didn't have; not just material things but knowledge as well.
What pieces of financial advice do you plan to teach your children?
I definitely plan to not only teach my children how to manage their money but how to invest their money.
What are your top 2-3 pieces of advice for fathers looking to get better with money?
- Learn how to budget. Budgeting isn't a bad word. It's just having a plan for your money. You should always have a plan and vision for your family and that should include finances.
- Live within your means. Don't be afraid to act your wage. It's okay to stay down until you come up.
- Invest, invest, invest! Every time you invest, you are buying back precious time you can use to do more important things like spending time with your family and rearing your children.
How are you building generational wealth for your children?
I'm building generational wealth for my children by investing more than I spend. I make sure I protect and preserve that wealth by having life insurance policies not only for myself but for them too. I also have a will, trust, and estate plan as well. It's easy to build wealth but it's another thing to maintain it. One day my children will not only be able to inherit assets but also the knowledge of financial literacy as well.
Is there anything else that you would like to share with our readers?
Fathers have an important role in their children's lives. Make sure nothing, a career, etc., comes between you and being present for your children.